Our passion is helping people create and share meaningful insights in Power BI.
We introduce data modeling, report development, and sharing insights at scale through hands-on instruction covering five components of Power BI:
- Power Query,
- Star schema data modeling,
- DAX expressions,
- Report visualization, and
- Sharing Insights in the Service.
Let’s learn together!
Thank you for visiting, and welcome to Story BI! My name is Mark Walter. I am an accounting and business intelligence professional passionate about helping people get the most out of Power BI.
From tracking sales performance to interactive financial statements; I’ve helped businesses of all sizes automate reporting and share with confidence. I’d love the opportunity to share Power BI with you and your team! Please do not hesitate to contact me with questions.
For more about me, please check out my LinkedIn profile.
Transform Data in Power Query
1. Automate manual data prep and ensure your tables are transformed and optimized for your report!
Data transformation is essential to building an effective reporting solution. We will learn how Power Query helps us automate steps that clean, transform, and structure our raw data into efficient tables used in our model.
Build a Star Schema Model
2. Connect to different data sources and ensure your report is leveraging the strength and integrity of the star schema for maximum performance.
Data Modeling in Power BI allows us to connect and blend data from different data sources including Excel. By following best practices, we learn how to leverage relationships through a basic star schema to improve the speed and integrity of our report.
Learn Evaluation Context and DAX!
3. DAX is the magic behind custom reporting. This course spends three sessions focused on helping students work through the fundamentals of evaluation context and DAX with confidence.
We’ll first learn the basics of how row and filter context improve performance and accuracy in our report.
Next, we’ll put evaluation context to work by writing simple to intermediate DAX expressions. By working through the examples, we’ll gain an appreciation for the power of DAX in our model.
Build Interactive Visualizations
4. Report Design using meaningful visuals and user driven features help us better support a meaningful data story.
Build your report in a way that helps your users better navigate, follow the story, and act on valuable insights. Learn to customize themes, organize visuals, and give users control over a fully interactive report.
Publish Securely to the Cloud!
5. Publish and share reports at scale that help report users work and act with confidence!
Learn to share reports through the Microsoft cloud Service. Define user access roles and schedule automatic updates to ensure users are working with current and reliable information.
By working through the five foundations, we’ll gain the skills necessary to collaborate and empower others in our organization to turn data into direction.